Monday 9 September 2013

Where are the tramps?

I`m sure that many people are satisified that we do not see the same level of old smelly tramps on our streets, particularly in our shopping malls and high streets.  I used to walk by many an old man with his bunnet laid out for coppers and at other times when the mood took me I`ve thrown my coppers into his bunnet.  I don`t know why but old tramps tended not to be female.

It was in the Thatcher years after changes in the benefit system that I started to see young people begging on the streets. Their parents were no longer entitled to child allowance after their children left school at sixteen and so could no longer support them.

I`ve seen hostels shut down which used to house the tramps if they could get enought coppers together. So you would expect to see more of these unfortunates, not less. Oh, you`ll still see an odd one, no doubt about it.  And then they will disappear.

These are people either mentally ill, addicted, or fallen on hard times.  Given what I have just said I still ask the question:  Where have these people gone?

I know few people care, but somebody has got to ask the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment